Wednesday, July 13, 2011

How do I make lead dioxide electrodes at home? Can I simply electrolyze lead?

I have a couple 2 pound lead fishing weights, which I believe are almost pure lead. Right now I'm working on an electrolysis cell for making sodium chlorate. I heard that lead dioxide makes good inert electrodes that will corrode slowly, and if I can make it out of lead they would be pretty cheap. So how can I turn my lead fishing weights into lead dioxide? I heard that if I simply use them for electrodes they anode will continuously create a layer of lead dioxide around it. Can I just use a sodium chloride solution or do I have to use an aqueous solution of sulfuric acid? Also how does lead dioxide compare to carbon, graphite, platinum, gold, and stainless for what I'm doing? Thank you in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment